Following a man-made border and ancient monument, rather than natural features, the dyke path crosses a variety of landscapes. Offahad a great dyke built between Wales and Mercia from sea to sea. This page was last edited on 22 January 2018, at 20:14. Masten, a path with heart pdf free ghost lumber town.
Most hikers take two and a half to three days and two nights to complete the Old Loggers Path, making it popular for weekend hikes. Union Tanning Company, followed by the Central Pennsylvania Lumber Company. The railroads passed through many cuts and fills, and the grades built at the height of the lumber era in Pennsylvania today carry the Old Loggers Path. In April 1917 the contract with Sones expired and the mill, town, and railroads were purchased by the Central Pennsylvania Lumber Company.
The mill was in operation from 1905 to September 18, 1930, when the last log was cut. After the mill closed, many of the houses were torn down and their lumber sold and the Susquehanna and Eagles Mere Railroad was abandoned. State Forest Camp” S-80-Pa was established at the site of Masten, and some of the remaining houses were demolished to make room for the camp. The camp closed in 1940. Some families had stayed after the mill closed and during the CCC era, but in 1941 the last family left Masten. Today, few buildings remain, which are now hunting camps, but there are many foundations throughout the area, and a smokestack. Leaving Masten, the trail crosses Hoghouse Run, one of many streams along the path.